An NFT, or non-fungible token, is a unique digital asset that represents ownership of a specific item, such as a piece of art, music, or video game item. To Create an NFT you need to use blockchain technology, which allows them to be securely bought, sold or transferred to other parties.
Yet knowing how to create an NFT them from scratch, as a newcomer to the NFT world, maybe a little confusing.
So in this blog, we’ll give you a brief step-by-step overview of how anyone can create an NFT and list it on the blockchain to sell. Let’s get into it…
Step 1: What type of NFT do you want to create?
Deciding what type of NFT you want to create is an important step in the process of creating your own NFT. There are many different types of NFTs available, including;
- Digital Art
- Physical items, like collectables or limited edition products
- In-game items
- Digital Clothing or Property
It’s important to consider what type of NFT will best suit your needs and goals. For example, if you are an artist looking to sell your digital art, you may want to create an NFT that features your artwork as the main focus. On the other hand, if you are a musician looking to sell exclusive tracks or merchandise, you may want to consider creating a NFT that features your music and accompanying artwork or merchandise. Ultimately, the type of NFT you choose will depend on your unique needs and goals, so be sure to carefully consider all of your options before making a decision.
Step 2: Create your artwork/assets
Time to produce your work. Whether it’s digital art or an item of 3D clothing, you’ve got to create that unique original asset that goes with your NFT.
If you are creating just one NFT, known as a ‘one of one’, then this will be just one picture or music track.
However, you could also have the same digital artwork from which you create 10000 NFTs from all using the same artwork attached. Equally, you could also create an NFT collection in which each NFT has it’s own unique one-of-a-kind artwork.
You might even want to create an NFT collection with ‘generative artwork’. This is where you’ll create separate individual layers of the artwork, which are then combined to create a unique and dynamic piece of art. A good example of this is the ‘CryptoPunks‘ collection.
The CryptoPunks NFT collection is a series of 10,000 unique digital characters that were generated using layered generative art. Each ‘Punk’ was created using a combination of traits, one from each layer i.e. Eyes, face, mouth, hair, skin tone etc.
So as an artist, all you are doing is creating the different attributes of each layer. i.e. 8 sets of eyes, 10 sets of glasses, 12 sets of mouths etc.
Step 3: Set Up a Digital Wallet
Once you have your artwork, to create an NFT, you’ll also need to set up a digital that supports NFTs. To set up a digital wallet, follow these steps:
- Firstly, choose a digital wallet that supports NFTs. There are several options available, including MyEtherWallet, MetaMask, and Coinbase Wallet. One of the most popular today is Metamask.
- Go to the MetaMask website (https://metamask.io/) and click on the “Get MetaMask” button.
- Select the appropriate browser extension for your browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari).
- Click on the “Add to Browser” button to install the MetaMask extension. Click on the MetaMask icon in your browser to open the extension.
- Click on the “Create Wallet” button to begin the process of creating a new wallet.
- Follow the prompts to create a secure password and write down your recovery phrase. This is the most important step. To learn more about this, read this article here.
- Click on the “Create” button to create your new MetaMask wallet.
- You will now be able to access your new MetaMask wallet by clicking on the MetaMask icon in your browser and entering your password.
You’ll need to connect your wallet whenever want to interact with the blockchain, for example, when buying NFTs from an NFT marketplace, selling your NFTs and when you want to create NFTs.
Step 4: Add some crypto to your wallet
In order to pay for the transaction fees, better known as ‘gas fees’, to get your NFT onto the blockchain, you’ll need some cryptocurrency in your digital wallet.
There are many ways in which to do this, but there two main options are;
- Purchasing some crypto from an exchange,
- Transferring some crypto into your wallet from another wallet.
If you want to purchase some crypto from an exchange, you’ll need to do the following
- Choose a cryptocurrency exchange. There are many exchanges available, such as Coinbase, Binance, and Kraken. Choose an exchange that offers the cryptocurrency you want to buy and that is reputable and secure.
- Create an account with the exchange. Follow the instructions on the exchange’s website to create a new account. This will usually involve providing your name, email address, and setting up a password, along with supplying a government-issued ID.
- You will need to connect a payment method to your account. This could be a credit card, bank account, or e-wallet such as PayPal.
- Select the cryptocurrency you want to buy from the exchange’s list of available options. Remember, you will need the same cryptocurrency for the blockchain you are choosing to use to create your NFT i.e. Ether is needed for the Ethereum.
- Enter the amount of cryptocurrency you want to buy in either your local currency or in the cryptocurrency itself. Review the details of the transaction, including the exchange rate and any fees, and then confirm the purchase.
- It may take a few minutes or longer for the transaction to be completed, depending on the exchange and the cryptocurrency being bought.
- Once the transaction has been completed, the cryptocurrency will be added to your digital wallet.
Once your wallet has some crypto in it, you’re now all set to Create an NFT!
Step 5: Use Fair.xyz to create your NFT
Fair.xyz was built to allow for the most seamless, simple and code-free experience for anyone to Create an NFT
Also known as an NFT generator, our platform takes you through the steps required to build an end-to-end collection – from artwork generation, generating the smart contract, minting, deployment, and everything in between!
(Please note, Fair.xyz uses the most popular blockchain, Ethereum. If you want to create an NFT using another blockchain, you’ll have to use another platform)
Here’s a quick recap of what you’ll need to create your NFT on Fair.xyz?
- A digital wallet (with just a little bit of Ethereum in it to pay gas fees – Fair.xyz does not take any upfront costs)
- Artwork, or artwork layers to generate your artwork
- 5-10 minutes of your time (that’s how long it should take to launch your collection if you have all the collection information ready to go!)
If you are ready with the above – great! It’s time to build.
For our easy step-by-step process on how to create an NFT using Fair.xyz – head over to our guide – https://docs.fair.xyz/tutorials-for-creators/create-your-collection-introduction
Step 5: Sell your NFT
Once your NFT has been created, you can now choose to sell it, also known as ‘mint it’.
Through Fair.xyz, your NFT collection will have its own unique collection page URL. You can share this across your network, social media, with friends and family. They will be able to buy your NFT directly from that URL, by simply connecting their own digital wallet and having enough Etherium to purchase an item.
And there we have it, everything you need to know on how to Create an NFT.
If you have any further questions, do not be shy to reach out to us directly via our Twitter DMs. We’ll be happy to assist you in any way possible.
NFTs are a revolutionary technology that has opened up new possibilities for creators and collectors alike. By allowing anyone to create an NFT using a platform like Fair.xyz, it has democratized the world of art and collectables, making it possible for anyone to participate in this market. They also can provide creators with a new way to monetize their work and give collectors an easy way to own, track, and trade one-of-a-kind digital assets. Overall, the ability for anyone to create NFTs has the potential to greatly benefit creators, collectors, and the digital world in general.
For all your NFT creation needs, be sure to visit Fair.xyz – We’re is empowering the next generation of creators, businesses and brands to create and launch NFTs, with no code or experience required.
Our goal is to create an industry-leading NFT launch experience for both collectors and creators that is secure, accessible and fair. Our proprietary technology removes gas wars, failed transactions and bots. From creators to businesses, we also work with the globeâ€™s largest institutions, brands and movements in order to bring ground-breaking and bespoke Web3 utility to life.